FREE Consultation

(707) 528-4409

Santa Rosa Workers' Compensation Lawyer

Workers' compensation claim form

Your Workers’ Comp Resource Center

If you were injured on the job, you need a legal advocate you can trust to protect your right to workers’ compensation benefits. At the Law Office of Richard J. Meechan, we take our duty to our clients very seriously. We do everything allowed by law to get injured workers the workers’ compensation benefits they deserve.

Board-Certified Workers’ Compensation Lawyer

Why choose the Law Office of Richard J. Meechan? Mr. Meechan is a Board-Certified Specialist in Workers’ Compensation Law. That means he devotes a substantial amount of his practice to handling workers’ compensation claims, has passed a special State Bar of California exam, and has taken dozens of hours of continuing legal education on workers’ compensation law and issues. We know California’s workers’ compensation system because we work with the law every day.

As attorneys representing injured workers, we act as your advocates. We develop a legal strategy to obtain your benefits, gather information to support your claim, represent you at hearings before a workers’ compensation judge and inform you of additional benefits that may be available to you.

We offer information about California workers’ compensation law to you. Use our resources to get the answers you need and then contact us directly to get started on your claim.

The Workers’ Comp System: What It Is and How It Works

California paid more than $5.7 million in workers’ compensation claims in 2014.

California paid more than $5.7 million in workers’ compensation claims in 2014. California requires companies to carry workers’ compensation insurance if they have even one employee and to post a notice about the workers’ compensation program and how to get medical care if injured in a visible location at the workplace. If you sustain a work-related traumatic injury or develop an injury over time such as a repetitive motion injury or hearing loss, your employer is required to provide benefits. There are five basic workers’ compensation benefits: medical care, temporary disability benefits, permanent disability benefits if you don’t recover completely, job displacement benefits to help with retraining, and death benefits. Find out about the California workers’ compensation system, what the agency requires to approve a claim, and what to do if your claim was denied, or if your employer is claiming you were not injured on the job.  Read more.

Workplace Accidents

Workplace AccidentsMany types of serious traumatic injuries and repetitive motion injuries are work-related. These include injuries sustained in vineyards, on construction sites, in factories and mills, in a car accident while making deliveries, and in other work environments. The average amount paid in workers’ compensation medical payments in California was $16,375 two years after a worker’s injury and the costs have been increasing sharply, according to the California Worker’s Compensation Institute.  No matter where you were working or what duties you had at your employment, if you were injured on the job, you have a right to seek workers’ compensation benefits. You may be entitled to benefits even if you are a part-time or temporary worker. Read more.

Construction Site Accidents

Construction Site AccidentsSonoma County is growing and many workers hold jobs in the construction industry, which are among the most dangerous of all professions. Jobsite hazards can lead to a serious injury or even death. A fall from a ladder or elevated surface, falling objects, electrical accidents, heavy equipment accidents and other construction accidents can lead to serious and disabling injuries for the worker. A construction worker may have a lengthy recovery after an accident, or may be unable to handle the physical demands of construction work afterward. Read more.

Workplace Injuries

Workplace InjuriesInjuries sustained at work can range from a minor sprain to a catastrophic head or back injury from which complete recovery is impossible. Find out more about the types of injuries that occur in the workplace and what actions to take if you have suffered an injury.

Lifting or Strain Injuries

Lifting or Strain InjuriesWorkers in certain jobs are prone to lifting or strain injuries. These include the nursing field, elder care, farming, and any job that involves moving or lifting large, heavy items, such as warehousing or restocking shelves. Back strain and herniated disks can be painful and difficult to resolve. They can make it difficult or impossible to work. When an injury develops related to a job, you have the right to compensation. Read more.

We Care About Our Clients. Call Us Today.

At our firm, we will put you at ease about your accident or injury. All cases and information are treated with discretion and we speak with you on a confidential basis. We want to hear about what happened to you and how we can help.

We have assisted thousands of injured workers get their  benefits and have been successful in appeals when a workers’ compensation claim is wrongfully denied. As an injured worker, you have rights, and we are here to help you get the level of compensation you deserve. We will develop a strategy to help you obtain the full benefits you are due. We are on your side and ready to help you now. Call us for immediate assistance.

We serve workers throughout Sonoma County, Santa Rosa, Mendocino, Marin, Napa, and Lake Counties. Our services are offered in Spanish and English.


Let us help you today-

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home3/v7t5r0t5/public_html/wp-content/themes/servinginjuredworkers/includes/sidebar/related.php on line 11

The Workers Comp System: What it is and how it works


Benefits Under the System

An injured worker is to be paid benefits under the workers’ compensation system.


How to File & Comp Claims

If you were injured at work, your employer is required to pay you workers’ compensation benefits.


FAQs & More

We have provided answers to some of the most common questions we are asked and can answer your questions.


Tips for workers who have suffered job-related injury or illness:

  1. Report your injury or illness immediately. Request a DWC-1 (Employee’s Claim for Workers’ Compensation Benefits) from your employer or supervisor.
  2. Accurately fill out the top employee section and return it to your supervisor immediately. Be sure to list all the body parts you feel were injured.
  3. Your employer has 24 hours to complete the bottom employer section and return it to you. Be sure to keep your copy.
  4. If you require medical attention, advise your employer immediately. You can see your own treating doctor if you have filled out a Personal Physician Pre-Designation form with your employer prior to the injury. If you did not file such a form, request that your employer send you to a doctor as soon as possible. Treatment must be provided within 24 hours of filing the claim.
  5. Be sure to tell your doctor in detail how the injury occurred and what parts of the body were affected. Keep copies of all notes and off-work slips given to you by the doctor.
  6. Keep accurate records of the dates of medical treatment, mileage and out-of-pocket medical costs.
  7. Before selecting a doctor from the State Panel Qualified Medical Examiner (QME) list, consult an attorney who specializes in workers’ compensation.